I am a doctorate candidate at the Department of Computing & Information Systems, the University of Melbourne. I have been awarded the Melbourne International Scholarship and the Science Faculty Scholarship to undertake my PhD study, and I am under the supervision of Dr. Reeva Lederman , Dr. Stephen Smith and Dr. Shanton Chang. Prior to transferring to the University of Melbourne, I had been studying in the PhD program at the Department of Business Information Systems and Operation Management (BISOM) , the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA, awarded with tuition waiver and graduate assistantship. I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration majoring in business information technology from Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade, China.
My research interests lie in the area of building trust and relationship in online environment, ranging from theory to design, with a focus on understanding end-users' perceptions and shaping their behaviours. My research philosophy is Critial Realism, and I conduct mixed-method (e.g., qualitative and quantitative) research. The qualitative analysis I specialise in are the Grounded Theory and interpretive qualitative methods. The statistical methods I specialise in are multivariate statistics and structured equation modelling such as LISREL and PLS.
In my spare time, I like practicing Yoga and Pilates, going to concerts and shows, playing League of Legends, volunteering and travelling around.
"How Trust Is Formed in Online Health Communities: Mixed-Method Research"
It investigates how trust is formed in text-based relationship-orientated online health communities.
(Dis)Trust,Online Community, Health Informatics, E-Commerce, Knowledge Management
- Fan, H., Lederman, R., Smith, S., and Chang, S.(2013) How Trust Is Formed in Online Health Communities: A Process Perspective, forthcoming at the Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS).
- Fan, H., Lederman, R., Smith, S., and Chang, S. (2013) How Online Health Forum Users Assess User-Generated Content: Mixed-Method Research , in proceedings of the 21st European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Fan, Smith, Lederman, and Chang, (December, 2010) Why People Trust in Online Health Communities: An Integrated Approach, in proceedings of the 21st Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS), Brisbane, Australia.
- Fan, H., Smith, S., Lederman, R., and Chang, S. (November, 2009) Information Adoption in Health Online Communities: An Integrated Approach, presented at OZCHI SmartHealth workshop, Melbourne, Australia.
- Xiong, L. and Fan, H. (August, 2005) Collaborative Commerce Architecture and Process Unit Study, in proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC), Xi'an, China (485-489). Abstract
Teaching & Research Experience
- UNIB 10005 Internet Meets Society (Breath Subject), 2011 - 2012.
Awarded Excellence in Tutoring by the Department of Computing and Information Systems
- MBAD 5141 Business Statistics and Quantitative Analysis:Graded homeworks and exames, 2008 -2009.
- INFO 3130 Management Information Systems: Grade exams, 2008 - 2009.
- MBAS 6320 Internet & Technology in Sport Management: Developed the course cirriculum and prepared teaching material, 2006 -2007.
- INFO 2130 Introduction to Business Computing: Graded website projects and homework; Answered students' questions, 2006 - 2008.
- INFO 3234 Business Systems Development: Graded projects, 2006 - 2007.
Service & Engagement
- Associated editor of the track online community and digital collaboration of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2011.
- Peer review for the Communications of the Association for Information Systems, special section on patient-centered e-health
- Invited reviewer by Dr. Arnold Kamis for the Journal of Electronic Commerce Research.
- Peer review for International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2010.
- Peer review for the European Conference on Information Systems ECIS 2012.
- Peer review for Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
- Peer review for the Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS) 2012.
- Peer review for the Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS) 2011.
- October 2010 - 2012 IT Officer of Student in Free Enterprise (SIFE) at the University of Melbourne
- 2010 Volunteer for Fight Cancer Foundation's Red Ball fundrasing event.
- April 2010 - September 2011 Student Ambassador Leadership Program at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
- March 2010 - 2011 Volunteer trainer at Wired Community @ Collingwood Project, Australia.
- March 2009 - 2010 Treasurer of the Information Systems Research Postgraduates Group (ISRPG) at the Department of Information Systems, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- 2010 Volunteer host for postgraduate orientation of School of Graduate Research, University of Melbourne
- 2004 - 2005 Editor of "Economy & Trade Forum", a student journal (in English & Chinese) of Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade.
- 2003 - 2005 Co-founder and president of the Card & Chess Club, a student extracurricular club in Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade. Responsibilities include developing recruitment activities, planning lectures and organizing student competitions.
- 2003 - 2004 Career service center representative of the Student Career Center, Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade. Responsible for searching and releasing job information, contacting potential recruiters and marketing qualified student candidates.
Awards & Scholarships
2011 Excellence in Tutoring awarded by the Department of Computing and Information Systems
2009 - 2012 Melbourne International scholarship and Science Faculty Scholarship by the University of Melbourne
2006 - 2009 Tuition waiver and Graduate Assistantship (GASP) by the University of North Carolina at Charloote
Awarded by Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade
2005-2006 1st Semester: 1st Prize Scholarship
2004-2005 2nd Semester: 1st Prize Scholarship
2004-2005 1st Semester: 3rd Prize Scholarship
2003-2004 2nd Semester: 1st Prize Scholarship & San Hao Student ("Student of Excellence")
2003-2004 1st Semester: 2nd Prize Scholarship
2002-2003 2nd Semester: 2nd Prize Scholarship
2002-2003 1st Semester: 2nd Prize Scholarship
Hanmei Fan , PhD Student
Department of Computing & Information Systems
University of Melbourne
Ph.D., Information Systems,
University of Melbourne, Australia, 2009 - 2013
Ph.D., Business Information Systems, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, U.S.A, 2006 - 2009 (Transferred)
Bachelor in Business Administration (B.B.A),
E-Commerce, Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade, 2002 - 2006
Donwload my Skills List